Black Toxic Mold - What You Can Do To Avoid Having This Health Risk In Your Family Home
Mold is easily found in everyone's home or workplace. We've all seen it. We've all overlooked it. However some molds can potentially cause health problems if exposed to it too long. But no need to start freaking out, knowledge is power, and in this blog post you will learn how to differentiate between black mold and black toxic mold.
What is Black Mold?
Black mold has a black pigment, however this does not necessarily mean that it is toxic. There are multiple kinds of black mold that include nigrospora, cladosporium and alternaria, but lets face it, you're not here for a mold education, you just want to know if it's toxic or not.
What Makes Mold Toxic?
The toxic component, (mycotoxins) in mold are found in the spores that travel through the air. When inhaled these may effect our health.
How Can I Determine Black Toxic Mold?
The black toxic mold, named Stachybotrys chartarum, is dark black or sometimes even dark green. For this mold to grow, the surface that it is on needs to be wet for at least 72 hours (3 days) and have access to moisture the that entire time.
The Environment Will Determine The Mold Growth
The growth of Black Toxic Mold lies within the environment around it. This includes the following:
- Poor or limited ventilation/air flow
- Moisture in the air
- Moisture on the surface
Here are some images of black toxic mold. Have a scroll through and then come back to this page to find out what to do next.
What Should I Do With Mold In My Home?
If your health and your families health is a priority, we always recommend mold remediation from an expert. An expert can determine the severity of the mold outbreak and what are the necessary steps for complete removal.
For a free quote, call SERVPRO of Wood, Ritchie & Pleasants Counties now on 304-428-7378.
We hope that this has been helpful, your health and safety is our priority.
Please share this with friends and family on your social media so that they can be informed too.