4 Ways To Remove Mold WITHOUT Professional Help
Article at a glance:
- Unattended Mold May Be Dangerous, so do this ...
- Our simple guide to mold removal, and the maintenance of at-risk areas
Mold is a sneaky and common problem in most West Virginian households. Especially in the fall. ‘Out of sight, out of mind’ is a dangerous mentality. Simply wiping away mold will not save your property or wallet. In fact, by doing this you may be creating a bigger problem (we will show you how to avoid this soon).
Lucky for you, mold removal is safe and affordable when you know exactly how to do it. At the end of this article, you’ll feel confident enough to tackle the smelly problem yourself, and keep it away.
The Dangers & Damage of Mold
- Stains & Odors - Have you ever smelled that musty smell when you enter a room? That unpleasant smell that leaves guests feeling uncomfortable but most likely feeling too polite to say anything. What’s more embarrassing is that you might not even smell it anymore! In addition to this smell, the mold may have grown on the surface of cupboards, floors and walls, creating awful stains. These stains are often black or a deep yellow. While you might be able to wipe the mold off, you might be stuck with discoloured walls.
- Clothing Damage - Mold can appear within 24 to 48 hours. While you might only see a stain on your cupboard, mold can also migrate into your clothing. Be careful of this because replacing or repairing your mold-damaged clothing can sometimes cost over hundreds of dollars.
- Health Effects - Your health comes first. Not only does mold target and damage beloved items and the structure of our homes, it can also have serious effects on your health or your family’s health. Follow our easy mold removal tips below to help keep everyone, and everything safe.
Mold can be dangerous, and can be expensive to remove. But can you do it yourself? YES! (Well, to a degree). Mold removal doesn’t have to be expensive to fix if we treat the problem accordingly. So follow our helpful tips on removing mold confidently in your home.
How to Take Care of Mold WITHOUT Professional Help
- Wash your clothes and avoid that large shopping list! As soon as the mold is discovered do a thorough clean of your clothing. To thoroughly kill the mold, try adding vinegar or baking soda to your washer.
- Act Fast. If you hesitate you’ll need to mold remediate. The smallest speck of mold can create big problems. Time is your enemy and the mold’s friend. As soon as you notice a smell or stain, wipe it away and thoroughly clean the area.
- Water won’t help. When it comes to mold, you will need to tackle it with something stronger. Try mixing ¼ water, 2/4 baking soda and ¼ white vinegar. This strong blend will help get rid of the smell and stain.
- Don’t wipe, scrub! If we want this problem gone for good, we can’t just wipe it off the surface. Use a rough cloth or toothbrush to scrub the area clean.
Please note that mold often grows below the surface. It grows within the drywall, under wood and within our furniture. Cleaning this thoroughly can be extremely difficult, but if it’s not taken care of fast, the mold will continue to grow throughout your home.
If you have any further questions please call us on 304 428 7378 or click here to contact us.
The Team at SERVPRO of Wood, Ritchie & Pleasants Counties.