5 Actions For Fire Damage to Save Money and Headaches
Article at a glance:
- What to do and what not to do after a fire
- How you can save thousands on restoration before help arrives
Fires in our homes and businesses are enough to make anyone panic. This is why it’s crucial to know the basic steps to take after a blaze ignites. Not only will you keep everyone safe, but it could save you thousands on your restoration bill.
5 Actions To Take Before Help Arrives
- Limit Movement - Avoid using damaged carpet and upholstery until it is professionally cleaned. Walking through your home can result in further embedding of soot into the carpet, which makes it more expensive to remove, or may even require complete removal and replacement of your carpet.
- Protect High Traffic Areas - Place old towels or linen over high traffic areas e.g. lounges, carpeted stairs and walkways. This will save you money on cleaning, as well as stopping the spread of stains and marks throughout your property.
- Switch Off Electricity - Switching off your electrical appliances will reduce the risk of a fire reigniting. Circuits are often damaged during fires, and making sure they’re turned off may mean your appliance can be repaired. WARNING: In some cases damaged electricals can mean danger to bystanders such as yourself. Make sure to survey the electricals before touching. If you’re unsure do not attempt to turn anything off. Your health and safety are more important.
- Check Ceilings For Moisture - It is common that our ceilings become damp after a fire. Turn off any ceiling fixtures and locate the damp spots. With damaged wires, and wet ceilings, it is likely that a fire will spark again if things aren’t properly checked.
- Move Your Belongings - If any of your belongings remain untouched by the fire, ensure you move them to a clean space immediately. This will avoid any further damage from smoke, and reduce the chance of them becoming covered in soot during the cleaning process.
By taking these simple actions, you will be able to save thousands on your restoration bill. Don’t wait for help to arrive to save your property and belongings!
We hope that this has helped and you have found value. If you have any further questions regarding professional water removal and water damage restoration please call us on 304 428 7378 or click here to contact us.
The Team at SERVPRO of Wood, Ritchie & Pleasants Counties.